Nope. That is not ginger. More like Jerusalem artichokes. Not real artichokes, of course, nor from Jerusalem. But with a certain indefinable, earthy sweetness. They are excellent in soups, baked, or sautéed.
You will need:
3 Dutch Cream Potatoes
5 or 6 Jerusalem artichoke tubers
4 bay leaves
a few springs of thyme
olive oil or duck fat
salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Scrub the potatoes and jerusalem artichokes. Peel only where there are pieces of earth impossible to remove (the skin gives great texture, and is the healthiest part).
- Cut the potatoes into large dice – roughly 4cm wide – and place in a baking tray with plenty of oil and the bay leaves.
- When the potatoes are about half done (about 15 minutes), add the diced jerusalem artichokes (the same size as potatoes), salt and thyme sprigs. Ensure everything is well coated in oil – toss it all around, adding more if necessary – you can pour off an excess at the end.
- 15 minutes further, and you’re done.
This is best cooked in the same pan as an organic chicken, with a few blanched beans and snow peas on the side, or with a white bean salad for a light dinner.